The Sons of the Revolution is a hereditary patriotic society instituted to perpetuate the memory of the men who, in the military, naval and civil service of the colonies and of the Continental Congress, by their acts or counsel, achieved the Independence of the country. We seek to promote the proper celebration of the anniversaries of the birthday of Washington, and of prominent events connected with the War of the Revolution; to collect and secure for preservation the rolls, records and other documents relating to that period; to inspire the members of the Society with the patriotic spirit of their forefathers; and to promote the feeling of friendship among them.
The John Rice Irwin-Anderson County Chapter was formed in October of 2001 to commemerate the Revolutionary War Veterans who lived in Anderson County, and to futher document the contributions of those veterans to the modern society. The Chapter is named for John Rice Irwin, a prominent resident of the county, and the founder of the Museum of Appalachia in Norris, Tennessee. The Chapter meets the 4th Tuesday of each month (except December), usually at the historic David Hall Cabin on Old Edgemoor Road.. The Chapter Annual Meeting in October requires a larger space.
Programs for Schools and Civic Organizations are available from our Speakers Bureau.
Anderson County was formed in 1801 from Knox County, and enlarged in 1803 to include lands that are now in Campbell, Scott, Morgan and Union Counties. The county was named for Joseph Anderson, a Major in Continental Army during the Revolutionary War, a justice of Southwest Territory supreme court, and a U.S. Senator from Tennessee. The county seat was laid out on the north bank of the Clinch River and named Burrville, after Aaron Burr. When he fell from favor after a duel with Alexander Hamilton, the town was renamed Clinton. Other population centers include Lake City, renamed from Coal Creek when Norris Lake was constructed; Norris, originally built to house construction workers who built Norris Dam; Oliver Springs, once a spa; and Oak Ridge, the city built during WWII by the Manhattan Project that built the Atomic Bomb.
The Revolutionary War in the South is the title of an exhibit of artifacts from the Revolutionary period that have been collected by members of the Chapter and placed on display in the Hall of Fame building of the Museum of Appalachia.
Patriots of the Past is a project undertaken to mount a plaque listing the Revolutionary War Veterans who have lived in Anderson County on the veterans monument on the Anderson County Courthouse lawn in Clinton, Tennessee. In addition to the monument, we are in the process of writing biographies of all the veterans listed, plus certain that are not listed explaining why they were excluded. We hope to publish this book in the near future.
The David Hall Cabin is a privately owned log cabin that was owned by Revolutionary War Veteran David Hall.
Contact us by email at FoundingFighters@tnsor.org, or 865-540-3950.
Click here for a printable preliminary Membership Application Form.
© 2013/14 by SR of Tennessee